Men And Back PainBack pain may seem harmless, but it does have an impact in your sex life. It starts with pain and discomfort when doing certain positions. Later on, you avoid bedroom encounters and refuse to be intimate due to fear that it might trigger something painful. This could strain your relationship because your partner will think you’re not interested in her any longer. In 2014, researchers from the University of Waterloo in Canada discovered that certain sex positions could minimize back pain. They looked into their subject couples’ spinal movement using infrared and electromagnetic motion capture systems to determine the flexion intolerance, which you can feel when you are bending forward at the waist. Based on their experiment, the lesser the range of motion, the better it will be for your back. However, the recommended sex positions for you depend on the kind of movement that triggers back pain. Hence, it is important to identify the kind of movements that are uncomfortable and painful for your back. This allows you to make the necessary adjustments when in between the sheets. To guide you better, here are five best sex positions you could do without hurting your back:
1. Doggy Style – The Elbow VariationThis is the most spine conserving position that is perfect for men with back pain. In this position, your ladylove leans over, elbows down and her hips up in the same level as your waist. This will make it easier for you to enter the backdoor. The doggy style, elbow variation allows the woman to support her own weight through her elbows. This will work for you because your spine is in a neutral position with little forward flexion or limited movement. The less pressure on your spine to move, the better it will be for your back.
2. Doggy Style – The Arms VariationYour partner may opt to use her hands to support her weight while in a doggy position. Don’t worry. That is still okay. In fact, it is also good for your spine and among the recommended positions for flexion-intolerant men. In this position, your partner leans forward with her palms resting flat on the bed and her knees forming a 90-degree angle. Aside from making it easier for you to enter from her behind, there is also less pressure on the spine area, since it is still in a neutral position. At the same time, her hands and knees support herself and all you have to do is to give her a good performance. Take note that since the angle of penetration changed, there will also be a change in the spinal movement, which is minimal. You know what’s the good thing about this position? Aside from the ability to dictate the pace, you could use your hands to caress every inch of her body, including her pleasure spot down south. Now that’s hitting two birds with one stone – in a good way.
3. Missionary Position With Hand SupportMissionary is perhaps the easiest and most common position you could do in bed. Thankfully, you could do this position even if you are flexion-intolerant. To do this, have your partner lie down on her back with her hips and knees slightly flexed. Then stay on top of her while supporting your body with your hands. Make sure to stretch your arms and your palms must be flat on the surface. This may not be the best position for back pain sufferers. However, experts consider this as a spine-sparing approach. It won’t worsen the pain caused by movement and posture in bed. This position may be quite a bore for you after a while, so make sure to switch things up in bed.
4. Missionary Position With Elbow SupportApparently, there is no such thing as one size fits all in terms of sex positions for back pain sufferers. If you are more extension intolerant, wherein you feel more pain when you arch your back, then this position is for you. In this missionary-style variation, your girl still lies on her back with her legs straight. The difference is that instead of your hands, you use your elbows to support your weight as you go through penetration. This position is perfect and comfortable for you if you find arching painful. At the same time, it encourages intimacy during the deed, which is not a bad idea, don’t you think?
5. Woman On Top
- Evaluate Every Sex Position.There is no definitive rule book when it comes to sex positions for back pain sufferers. This is why experts recommend that you determine what positions trigger pain and discomfort to guide you in finding the right ones in bed. Go ahead and try whatever you could find in your bog book of sex. This could be a fun thing to do inside the bedroom as well.
- Avoid The Spooning Position. This is where you and your girl are lying on your side, with you behind her. It looks intimate, but unfortunately, this is the worst sex position if you are suffering from back pain, especially if you are flexion-intolerant. You might also find it hard to move your hips during thrusting. On the other hand, if you don’t mind arching or you are an extension-intolerant dude, then this position could work for you.
- Learn To Control Your Motions.You might not notice but most of the time, you use your spine to control the motion in bed. To minimize pain and discomfort, use your knees and hips in controlling the motion. It keeps you spine in a neutral state, which is advisable if you have back issues.
- Talk About It. Sex is a two-way process. Hence, it is important to communicate about the things that bother you inside the bedroom, including your back issues. Don’t hesitate to discuss it with your partner about your back pain issues. This makes your ladylove understand what you are going through and at the same time, help you find the right position in bed.
- Consider Preventive Measures.Do you have a regular sex night? Perhaps, planning could help you with your back pain issue. Taking pain relievers before sex could help ease the aches and pains. Treating yourself to a hot shower, especially if you have muscle spasms could also help relieve any discomfort. After sex, place ice on the affected area to treat over-stretching or over stimulation of muscles.
- Keep Calm And Try Therapy.If you have chronic back pain, then physical therapy could do the trick. It helps your spine become more stable and flexible through various stretches and strengthening exercises. This helps minimize pain and discomfort and makes sex more pleasurable.
- It’s Okay To Stop. When you feel your back issue is knocking at your door and you can’t bear the pain, just stop. Mild discomfort is okay but if your back pain already restricts your movements and makes it impossible for you to continue, just stop. The more you prolong the pain, the longer your recovery time will be. For sure, your partner will understand. At the same time, you could try it again the following day.
- Say Hello To Your Doctor. More importantly, don’t forget to consult a doctor, especially if you are suffering from acute back pain. There might be an underlying reason for such a condition. You may need a go signal before incorporating sex into your daily routine.
Please follow and like us: